[Dixielandjazz] Fw: [TPIN] Fw: Lung Capacity

Reaban, Derek derek.reaban@honeywell.com
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 08:55:51 -0700

Bob,

Based on the reading that I have done in "Arnold Jacobs:
Song and Wind", your friend is experiencing Hypoventilation
(the opposite of Hyperventilation) which is an accumulation
of excess carbon dioxide in the blood stream.  Oboe players
typically encounter this situation since they play on "low
flow" instruments.  Jacobs mentions that the flow rate for
an oboe at a ff dynamic is about 5 liters per minute.  Since
most players have about a 5 liter capacity, it would take
about a minute to empty the lungs even at a very loud
dynamic.  For lesser dynamic levels, the air is never fully
emptied from the lungs, and what your friend describes makes
sense related to the trumpet (low flow) coming from a low
brass (high flow) background.

It is possible to counter-act hypoventilation through a
mild form of hyperventilation.  Essentially, by reducing
the CO2 in the lungs before playing a long phrase, the
need to breathe is postponed during very long phrases.
So if the oboe player needs to make it though a phrase
that is 1 minute long with no breaks, they might choose
to take several deep breaths to flush the excess CO2 from
their system before they begin to play the long phrase.
As the CO2 slowly builds up while they are playing the long
phrase, this may postpone the need to breathe for another
10-15 seconds.

I would recommend that your friend find a copy of Song
and Wind.  Great information from one Tuba player to
another!

www.windsongpress.com.

Good luck,

Derek Reaban