[Dixielandjazz] Albert Ammons, Margie, etc.

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 00:19:57 EST

--part1_189.11bfe913.2b1af5fd_boundary

In a message dated 11/30/02 7:56:24 PM Central Standard Time,
butcht@sihope.com writes:

> Ammons was one of my earliest heroes.  His "Swanee River Boogie" was one of
> the first records I tried to emulate in my early teens.  It was a hit, and
> so he did a lot of these "commercial" boogie woogie things for Mercury.
> The
> story is nicely told in a 1997 bio by Christopher I. Page, published by the
> Northeast Ohio Jazz Society (Cleveland).  Great photos, too.
>

> Butch Thompson

   This is interesting, Butch.  Ammons' "Swanee river Boogie" was also one of
my favorites and I worked a long time on working up a reasonable  amateur
copy.  I was the king of my frat house at Beloit with that.  I can still hack
out a few bars of that and I distinctly remember that rolling bass line.

  Albert Ammons could take any tune and boogie the hell out of it.  He had
the greatest sense of time, swing and imagination within that framework of
them all.  Those of you who may access a copy of Ammon's "Margie" I would be
interested to hear your reaction.  It has been 50 years since i heard that
damn thing I but remember vividly how that rolled along with an incredible
power walking.

  Jim Beebe

--part1_189.11bfe913.2b1af5fd_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 11/30/02 7:56:24 PM Central Standard Time, butcht@sihope.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Ammons was one of my earliest heroes.&nbsp; His "Swanee River Boogie" was one of<BR>
the first records I tried to emulate in my early teens.&nbsp; It was a hit, and<BR>
so he did a lot of these "commercial" boogie woogie things for Mercury.&nbsp; The<BR>
story is nicely told in a 1997 bio by Christopher I. Page, published by the<BR>
Northeast Ohio Jazz Society (Cleveland).&nbsp; Great photos, too.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Butch Thompson </BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; This is interesting, Butch.&nbsp; Ammons' "Swanee river Boogie" was also one of my favorites and I worked a long time on working up a reasonable&nbsp; amateur copy.&nbsp; I was the king of my frat house at Beloit with that.&nbsp; I can still hack out a few bars of that and I distinctly remember that rolling bass line.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp; Albert Ammons could take any tune and boogie the hell out of it.&nbsp; He had the greatest sense of time, swing and imagination within that framework of them all.&nbsp; Those of you who may access a copy of Ammon's "Margie" I would be interested to hear your reaction.&nbsp; It has been 50 years since i heard that damn thing I but remember vividly how that rolled along with an incredible power walking.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp; Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_189.11bfe913.2b1af5fd_boundary--