[Dixielandjazz] The Price of Music

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 21:27:31 -0400

List Mates:

Don't you just love these New York City Club prices?  Bluiett was the
subject of a recent NY Times review and every once and a while the Four
Tops headline a music festival that also has mostly OKOM. 27.50 + one
drink to see one set by Blueitt's Baritone Nation and $50 to see one set
with the Four Tops.

And yet the American Rag had a letter to the editor complaining about
the "high price" of an all events ticket at the Sacramento Jubilee and
shorter sets, of one hour. (The writer of the letter saw at least 20,
hour sets of music, if not more) It seems as if the festival goers and
not only getting older, they're getting cheaper. OKOM festivals are a
great bargain.

Barbone Street had one concert this year, 2 hours, for $27.50 which set
a record for us, but I see we have a long way to go.
http://home.earthlink.net/~barbonestreet/

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

>From today's Jazz & Pop Listings in the NY Times.

BLUIETT'S BARITONE NATION, Iridium, 1650 Broadway, at 51st Street, (212)
582-2121. What a sound Mr. Bluiett has on the baritone saxophone, and
what a ruckus he can kick up when he's improvising. A longtime member of
the World Saxophone Quartet, he has been a local favorite since the
70's; he is still hiring good young musicians and creating converts.
This week he is convening three other baritone players, James Carter,
Howard Johnson and Patience Higgins. Tonight through Sunday night at 8
and 10, with an 11:30 set tonight and tomorrow;  cover charge is $27.50,
with a $10 minimum

THE FOUR TOPS, B. B. King Blues Club and Grill, 243 West 42nd Street,
Manhattan, (212) 997-4144. Until the death of Lawrence Payton in 1997,
the Four Tops were a paragon of group longevity, with the same lineup
since 1954. They still have Levi Stubbs's dynamic lead baritone to
charge through Motown classics like "Reach Out (I'll Be There)" and "I
Can't Help Myself." Tonight at 8 and 10:30; admission is $50.