[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet Teachers - Was Hello Mr. Romans

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 18:03:24 -0400

List mates:

Last year Barbone Street did a Dixieland concert at an upscale
Retirement Community in Philadelphia. And I met Leon Lester there. As
some of the reed players on the list may remember, he not only taught
clarinet, but also had several Clarinet Instruction books published and
used in various High Schools.

This January, Barbone Street is again performing for his Retirement
Community and he wrote me:

"Dear Steve: I have been asked to introduce the band at the upcoming
concert. Do I have the names right ? . . .etc.

I don't remember if you were ever a pupil of mine, but I think you told
me last year that you had used my books when you learned clarinet in
High School.

I am now 92  years old and my mind is a bit fuzzy. Please help me with
some of the band biography details."

If any of you reed men used the Lester Method books., please drop him a
"thank you" line at:

Leon Lester
D-402
600 E. Cathedral Road