[Dixielandjazz] Misplaced words

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 04:49:43 +0000

Hi Listmates,

Anton asked:

>"What's the name for the construction in which words exchange position?
>Eg,
>
>  A good man is hard to find
>
>  becomes
>
>  A hard man is good to find"

And John Farrell responded:

>Try "Spoonerism"

I don't think this is correct. A "Spoonderism" is where the initial letters
of different words become transposed as "Rubber Ducky" becomes "Dubber
Rucky."

I believe the correct answer is an  "Anastrophe" - see definition:

anastrophe (noun): an alteration of the normal order of words or phrases in
a grammatica)l construction, usually for rhetorical effect.

There may be some other rhetorical device more closely descriptive of this
phenomenon but I can't think of one off hand.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Mr. Language Person" Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com