[Dixielandjazz] Bob Helm's clarinet

Dan Augustine ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 19:53:15 -0500

Folks--
     I figure the following remark is gonna get me skewered, but the
hell with it.
     Bob Helm is one of my favorite clarinet players, but gawd, he
sure sounded out of tune sometimes.  A friend of mine can't even
listen to a recording Helm plays on because of that, so it's not just
me.  However, Turk wanted him in his band, and that's good enough for
me.
     That said, he certainly could play that thing.  Nobody else
sounds like him, or has ideas like his.  The earliest Bob Helm i have
dates from 1937, but i'm sure there's lots of earlier recordings.
(In fact, somewhere i think i have a recording of him playing tenor
sax.)
     Unfortunately, i never heard him live, nor do i know any stories
about him. Anybody have any stories?  Seems like someone here in DJML
recently said that they were doing an oral history with him; hope it
gets published.

     Dan
--
**  Dan Augustine     Austin, Texas     ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu  **
**     "Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days       **