[Dixielandjazz] Re: Songs with a Question

Dan Augustine ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 00:04:45 -0500

>From: "Bill Gunter" <jazzboard@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] New thread to stop the crying in the beer
>Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 04:28:26 +0000
>
>Don Ingle asks the musical question - "Name only tunes that ask a question"
>OK, why not? . . .
>What Kind of Fool Am I?
>Could It Be You?
>How Deep is the Ocean?
>Isn't it Romantic?
>Is it True What They Say About Dixie?
>What'll I Do?
>What Can I Say (After I say I'm sorry)?
>Why Can't You Behave?
>Why Don't You Do Right?
>Why Was I Born?
>Wouldn't It Be Nice?
>Respectfully submitted?
>Bill "?" Gunter
>jazzboard@hotmail.com
**-------------------------------------------------------------------------**
Inquiring Minds--
     The Anderson database of 9,067 song titles (my copy of it) lists
305 songs that end with a "?" (but with numerous duplicates).  Some
interesting titles:

AFTER I'VE CALLED YOU SWEETHEART (HOW CAN I CALL YOU FRIEND?)
       by Little Jack Little
AIN'T CHA' COMING BACK, MARYANN TO MARYLAND? by Eubie Blake
AREN'T YOU KIND OF GLAD WE DID? by George Gershwin
CAN YOU TAME WILD WIMMEN? by Harry Von Tilzer
GONE WITH "WHAT" WIND? by Benny Goodman & William ""Count"" Basie
HOW ARE YOU GOIN' TO WET YOUR WHISTLE? (A DRY LAMENT)
       by Francis Byrne, Frank McIntyre & Percy Wenrich
HOW CAN I HI-DE-HI (WHEN I FEEL SO LOW-DE-LOW)?
       by Mercer Cook, Don Redman & J. Russel Robinson
HOW MANY BURPS IN A BOTTLE OF BEER? by Fred Patrick & Claude Reese
IF I SHOULD DIE BEFORE I WAKE (HOW WILL I KNOW I'M DEAD?) by Bert A. Williams
WHAT! NO SPINACH? by William Tracey, Hugh Aitken & Dinty Moore
WHERE DO FLIES GO IN THE WINTER TIME? by Sam Mayo & Frank Leo
WHO DAT SAY CHICKEN IN DIS CROWD? by Will Marion Cook
WHO PLAYED POKER WITH POCAHONTAS? by Fred E. Ahlert
WHO'LL CHOP YOUR SUEY WHEN I'M GONE? by Sidney Bechet & Rousseau Simmons
WOULD YOU RATHER BE A COLONEL WITH AN EAGLE ON YOUR ARM THAN A
PRIVATE WITH A CHICKEN ON YOUR KNEE? by Walter Donaldson

     Dan
--
**  Dan Augustine     Austin, Texas     ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu  **
**    "Most people wouldn't know music if it came up and bit them     **