[Dixielandjazz] Re: poignant songs - contrast

Nancy Giffin nancyink@ulink.net
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 09:14:21 -0500

> From: "Don Ingle" <dingle@baldwin-net.com>
> Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] poignant songs
>
> I would certainly add:  I Get Along Without You Very Well...

Me, too, Don.  The chords are perfect for the lyrics, and we all can relate
to that "fake it till you make it" state of denial that helps us struggle
through our grief.

In contrast, "Good Morning Heartache" embraces the pain. It is so lonely as
to befriend the grief: "Good morning, heartache. What's new? ...sit down."

I also appreciate the unconditionally-loving lyrics to "My Funny Valentine":
"You make me smile with my heart. Your looks are laughable,
unphotographable; yet, you're my favorite work of art..."
"But don't change a hair for me, not if you care for me..."

(The sound of Nancy's sigh)