[Dixielandjazz] poignant songs: some obscure

Richard Crockett rcrockett1@houston.rr.com
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 15:49:54 -0500

Contemporary composer/singer Dan Fogelberg penned a couple that "get" me:
"Leader of the Band" about his dad, a high school band director in Peoria;
and, "The Last Auld Lang Syne" about drinking a six-pack with a former
lover. This one ends with David Sanborn soloing the real Auld Lang Syne in
his own bluesy style.

Paul Simon's "Still Crazy" is pretty high on the poignancy (?) scale

Country artists have also produced many tearjerkers (that's country for
"poignant"):
"Daisy A Day" about the guy who continued taking his wife a daisy a day even
after she died; and, "Country Bumpkin" this one you just have to hear.

My all time fav is "Sophisticated Lady" the lyrics in the bridge:
 "Smokin, Drinkin, never thinking of tomorrow, nonchalant..."
That does it for me!

Later, dc