[Dixielandjazz] Score - 4' 33"

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 00:19:32 +0000

Listmates,

Erstwhile recording technician, Paul Edgerton, has indeed a wonderful
product (an MP3 file of 4' 33") and I encourage all to avail themselves of
this wonderful recording in full stereophonic high fidelity.

But Paul does comment:

>Why settle for a map (the sheet music) when you can have the territory (the
>composer's definitive recording)?

The answer, of course is, the map provides information a simple recording
cannot convey. For example, the complex fingering the the second movement
(2' 30") is not easily performed by the pianist unless he is aware of the
"crossover" technique wherein the left hand plays on the treble section of
the pianoforte while the right hand plays the notes indicated in the bass
clef.

My advice is get BOTH the definitive Cage MP3 file AND the sheet music for a
complete introduction to the world of alternate musical performance.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Dizzy Fingers" Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com