[Dixielandjazz] Jerry Fuller

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 16:12:27 EDT

--part1_14c.12a1e986.2a9159ab_boundary

In a message dated 8/18/02 1:46:31 PM Central Daylight Time,
dingle@baldwin-net.com writes:

> Jerry Fuller was from Santa Maria, CA, and studied with MA\atty Matlock as a
> young player. (He used to come down from SM to take his clarinet lesson at
> Matty's, and I would wait for his lesson to be over so I could go in and
> get
> my arranging lesson. We used to sit and talk with Matty and Lura in
> between.
> He worked with Jackie Coon, Jack Perciful, Ira Wesley, Gene Estes at the
> Hangover Club in Hollywood in early 50's where I would catch him, and we
> both used to sit in at the old Club 47 at times to learn from the good
> players that sat in there most any night of the week.
> Jerry worked with some good bands (Dukes and others,) but for some reason
> he
> didn't think he could make it in the biz and took up barbering. Moved to
> Boston area and cut hair and gigged on the side. We were all the poorer for
> that, but to this day he's still one of the better clarinetists around,
> with
> a warm, woody sound and some fine lines in his  solos.
> Last saw him at Sacro Fest when we sat on a street curb and drank "coupon"
> beer and talked about the times when we were, as Lura Mattlock called us,
> "Matty's boys!"
> Don Ingle

  Indeed, Jerry Fuller is a great clarinetist and don't forget that he was
with Jack Teagarden for a few years before he went with the Dukes.

  Jim Beebe

--part1_14c.12a1e986.2a9159ab_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 8/18/02 1:46:31 PM Central Daylight Time, dingle@baldwin-net.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Jerry Fuller was from Santa Maria, CA, and studied with MA\atty Matlock as a<BR>
young player. (He used to come down from SM to take his clarinet lesson at<BR>
Matty's, and I would wait for his lesson to be over so I could go in and get<BR>
my arranging lesson. We used to sit and talk with Matty and Lura in between.<BR>
He worked with Jackie Coon, Jack Perciful, Ira Wesley, Gene Estes at the<BR>
Hangover Club in Hollywood in early 50's where I would catch him, and we<BR>
both used to sit in at the old Club 47 at times to learn from the good<BR>
players that sat in there most any night of the week.<BR>
Jerry worked with some good bands (Dukes and others,) but for some reason he<BR>
didn't think he could make it in the biz and took up barbering. Moved to<BR>
Boston area and cut hair and gigged on the side. We were all the poorer for<BR>
that, but to this day he's still one of the better clarinetists around, with<BR>
a warm, woody sound and some fine lines in his&nbsp; solos.<BR>
Last saw him at Sacro Fest when we sat on a street curb and drank "coupon"<BR>
beer and talked about the times when we were, as Lura Mattlock called us,<BR>
"Matty's boys!"<BR>
Don Ingle<BR>
<BR>
----- Original Message -----<BR>
&nbsp; Indeed, Jerry Fuller is a great clarinetist and don't forget that he was with Jack Teagarden for a few years before he went with the Dukes.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp; Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_14c.12a1e986.2a9159ab_boundary--