[Dixielandjazz] N.O. Jazz & Heritage Fest

Patrick Cooke patcooke@cox.net
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 10:35:50 -0500

Rebecca wrote:

>>>However, most of their music is FAR from jazz.  I found out, though, that
they devote one smaller venue to traditional jazz and another to blues.<<

     The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Fest is held a the Fair Grounds (a
horse race track).    Some of the venues are under the grandstand, but most
are outdoors....some in tents, others on stages out in the open.
      There is a large tent devoted to trad & contemporary dixieland styles.
Under the grandstand is a venue for modern and/or straight ahead jazz.
There are very two large stages outdoors for acts like Ray Charles, Fats
Domino, etc.  These stages are necessarily outdoors, because they don't have
tents big enough to accommodate the large numbers of people these acts
attract.  I hear it is still difficult to get  anywhere where one can see
the people on stage.
      There is also a blues stage outdoors, and I heard some pretty good
straight ahead jazz on it.  There is also a venue that features Cajun and
zydeco.  I don't know much about it, as I made no effort to find it.
       I have to agree with Rebecca........the New Orleans French Quarter
Festival, held on the second weekend in April, is my festival of
preference.......and it's FREE!
     Pat Cooke
      New Orleans