[Dixielandjazz] Favorite theme tunes

Ken Gates keng@iswest.com
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 12:51:51 -0700

Listmates--
Had occasion to play some of my swing band LP's from way back
when.  "Blue Flame" --Woody Herman's theme song was heard again.
Brought to mind the times as a teenager I went to the Orpheum
theatre to hear those great bands of the forties.  The bands alternated
with a "B" movie all afternoon and evening.  After the movie, with lights
down low, the theme song of the band would be heard faintly at first,
then louder as the stage platform moved forward and the curtains
opened.  What a great entrance.  I liked the moody themes of
Artie Shaw and Woody Herman.  But I liked them all---and especially
Benny Goodman's closing theme--"Goodbye" ----I think it was, at least.
Wondering if this conjures up any memories out there.
Ken Gates