[Dixielandjazz] Storyville - Duke Dejan Obit

Patrick Cooke patcooke@cox.net
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 07:26:49 -0500

Nadine wrote

>>>when the District closed in 1917, bands didn't stop playing in the tonks
and bars located in that area - Mahogany Hall wasn't torn down until way
back later - <<<

I remember seeing Lulu White's Mahogany Hall  still standing and boarded up
in the middle to late forties.  There was a small building next to it on the
corner that was evidently a small saloon.  I had an entrance facing
diagonally across the intersection, with a stained glass panel above the
door. The stained glass panel said simply "Lulu White's".  The little bar on
the corner looks like the same building is still there, but Mahogany Hall is
gone.  The stained glass panel was bought by Pete Fountain.
    Pat Cooke
    New Orleans