[Dixielandjazz] Is Jazz Dead?

Patrick Cooke patcooke@cox.net
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 16:35:30 -0500

>>>Louis Armstrong is a jazz star from the 1950s and '60s, but who is his
modern equivalent?: (Photo ran in all editions except Toronto.)<<<

      Would an equivalent be someone who plays exactly like or close to
Louis be an equivalent?  I don't think so. There are a number of those
around.
       To be a true equivalent, he would have to be an innovator, as was
Louis.
        As such, he would not play like anyone else, not even like Louis.
How do you do this and still be "true to the genre"?   I don't think you
can.  The true equivalent to Louis, an innovator, would be rejected by most
OKOM "aficionados".  Louis himself was probably rejected by many for the
same reasons.

        Pat Cooke