[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland Movies

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 02:43:22 EDT

--part1_164.1215428c.2a87618a_boundary

In a message dated 8/11/02 1:25:28 AM Central Daylight Time,
ringwald@calweb.com writes:

> Bob Ringwald chimes in:
>
> Pat,
>
> Often in Television, there are 3 or 4 cameras taping simultaneously.  This
> is commonly called a "Three camera show."  Even though now-a-days, often 4
> cameras are used.
>
> It can be done in TV because the TV screen is small.  And, not as much time
> or care has to be taken with lighting, sound, props, makeup, etc.  Mistakes
> can not very easily be seen on screen.  They often get by as cheaply as
> possible.
>
> In film, first of all, the screen is so much larger that much more care has
> to be taken with all aspects, lighting, sound, props, location, etc.  Once
> in a while (rarely) a 2nd camera is used but it really complicates things.
> For instance, not only do you have to take care for the 2nd camera not to
> be
> seen, any reflections or shadows also have to be watched for.
>
> The recording quality of the music could not be captured on a sound stage
> while filming is going on.  The instruments could not be mik'd properly,
> etc.  As Jim said, the music is recorded first & then the sound track is
> played while the musicians are pantomiming while being filmed.  Many takes
> from many different camera angles are used.  ever time the camera is moved,
> the lighting has to be changed.  Everything on the set has to be checked
> for
> continuity.  If an actor was wearing a watch in the scene, tomorrow or the
> next day when they do a close up, or a shot from a different angle, he has
> to still be wearing that watch.
>
> Often a Prop man has 3 of everything available, just in case.  It is much
> cheaper in the long run to buy 3 watches for the show, even if only one
> gets
> used because, it would be a whole lot more expensive to stop production
> while someone goes out & tries to find a match for a watch that an actor
> has
> misplaced.
>
> I personally have seen filming go on for 2 days just to get 30 seconds of
> finished film.

   thanks for the interesting info, Bob.  I first met Bob Ringwald when he
came to the Chicago area chaperoning his daughter, Molly, who was filming one
of her now classics here.  Bob called me as we had a mutual friend and he
came out to the rib Exchange where my band was playing.  He sat in a bit and
we have been friends since.  We onley see each other about once every 10
years. Some years back we put together and co-led a Bob Scobey Reunion band
for the LA Festival.  If I do say so myself , this was a hell of a band with
Bob Schultz on trumpet, bill Napier, clarinet, Dave Black on drums, Jimmy
Johnson on bass and Ronny DiPhillips on piano, Bob Ringwald on banjo and
myself on trombone. We got there early and went out of our way to recreate
some of the Bob Scobey classics.  Bob Ringwald was superb doing some clancy
Hayes gems. We did it again for the Big Horn Jazz Fest in Chicago.

This is one of my favorite musical memories along with working with Scobey
and Clancy themselves.  It was Bob Ringwald's idea...thanks, Bob.

Bob Neighbor loaned me a copy of the record Molly had done with when she was
6-7 years old.  It is a gas and well worth hearing if you never have.  I took
it on a friends radio show and played it.  How many copies do you have in the
garage there, Bob?
Put one out on E Bay for the hell of it.  I'll bet it will bring in some nice
money.

Jim Beebe

--part1_164.1215428c.2a87618a_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 8/11/02 1:25:28 AM Central Daylight Time, ringwald@calweb.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Bob Ringwald chimes in:<BR>
<BR>
Pat,<BR>
<BR>
Often in Television, there are 3 or 4 cameras taping simultaneously.&nbsp; This<BR>
is commonly called a "Three camera show."&nbsp; Even though now-a-days, often 4<BR>
cameras are used.<BR>
<BR>
It can be done in TV because the TV screen is small.&nbsp; And, not as much time<BR>
or care has to be taken with lighting, sound, props, makeup, etc.&nbsp; Mistakes<BR>
can not very easily be seen on screen.&nbsp; They often get by as cheaply as<BR>
possible.<BR>
<BR>
In film, first of all, the screen is so much larger that much more care has<BR>
to be taken with all aspects, lighting, sound, props, location, etc.&nbsp; Once<BR>
in a while (rarely) a 2nd camera is used but it really complicates things.<BR>
For instance, not only do you have to take care for the 2nd camera not to be<BR>
seen, any reflections or shadows also have to be watched for.<BR>
<BR>
The recording quality of the music could not be captured on a sound stage<BR>
while filming is going on.&nbsp; The instruments could not be mik'd properly,<BR>
etc.&nbsp; As Jim said, the music is recorded first &amp; then the sound track is<BR>
played while the musicians are pantomiming while being filmed.&nbsp; Many takes<BR>
from many different camera angles are used.&nbsp; ever time the camera is moved,<BR>
the lighting has to be changed.&nbsp; Everything on the set has to be checked for<BR>
continuity.&nbsp; If an actor was wearing a watch in the scene, tomorrow or the<BR>
next day when they do a close up, or a shot from a different angle, he has<BR>
to still be wearing that watch.<BR>
<BR>
Often a Prop man has 3 of everything available, just in case.&nbsp; It is much<BR>
cheaper in the long run to buy 3 watches for the show, even if only one gets<BR>
used because, it would be a whole lot more expensive to stop production<BR>
while someone goes out &amp; tries to find a match for a watch that an actor has<BR>
misplaced.<BR>
<BR>
I personally have seen filming go on for 2 days just to get 30 seconds of<BR>
finished film.</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; thanks for the interesting info, Bob.&nbsp; I first met Bob Ringwald when he came to the Chicago area chaperoning his daughter, Molly, who was filming one of her now classics here.&nbsp; Bob called me as we had a mutual friend and he came out to the rib Exchange where my band was playing.&nbsp; He sat in a bit and we have been friends since.&nbsp; We onley see each other about once every 10 years. Some years back we put together and co-led a Bob Scobey Reunion band for the LA Festival.&nbsp; If I do say so myself , this was a hell of a band with Bob Schultz on trumpet, bill Napier, clarinet, Dave Black on drums, Jimmy Johnson on bass and Ronny DiPhillips on piano, Bob Ringwald on banjo and myself on trombone. We got there early and went out of our way to recreate some of the Bob Scobey classics.&nbsp; Bob Ringwald was superb doing some clancy Hayes gems. We did it again for the Big Horn Jazz Fest in Chicago.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
This is one of my favorite musical memories along with working with Scobey and Clancy themselves.&nbsp; It was Bob Ringwald's idea...thanks, Bob.<BR>
<BR>
Bob Neighbor loaned me a copy of the record Molly had done with when she was 6-7 years old.&nbsp; It is a gas and well worth hearing if you never have.&nbsp; I took it on a friends radio show and played it.&nbsp; How many copies do you have in the garage there, Bob?<BR>
Put one out on E Bay for the hell of it.&nbsp; I'll bet it will bring in some nice money.<BR>
<BR>
Jim Beebe<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_164.1215428c.2a87618a_boundary--