[Dixielandjazz] New Traditional Jazz Band

Henry B. Stinson HenryStinson@earthlink.net, JazzHarmonicat@hotmail.com
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 23:15:11 -0400

Tradjazz@aol.com wrote:

> The New Traditional Jazz Band performed at the Bix Festival in Davenport, IA.
> in 1999.  I greatly enjoyed their sets but have heard nothing of them since.
> Anyone out there aware of where they are or if they are still active?  I
> believe they were from the East and a lady banjo player was the co-leader.
>
> Leo Michels,
> Central IA. Trad Jazz Soc.
> Des Moines, IA

New Traditional Jazz Band leaders Chris Harris (banjo and vocals)
and Jack Moser (various sizes of sax) live in Maine, the
tuba player in Washington, DC area, and their Bix-like
(playing, not the alcohol problems) cornet player, David
Jellema, (DavidJellema@hotmail.com) lives in Murfreesboro,
TN.  They used to come together once a month in the Wash.,
DC area (in the Ice House Cafe in Herndon, VA) to play
their wonderful, authentic arrangements carefully written out
by Chris Harris, the banjo player lady (who is also their singer) and
Jack Moser (jmoser@www.downeast.net), the sax player.
Looking at the schedule page for the Ice House Cafe
(www.IceHouseCafe.com), I see that they are not playing there
until Dec 13 & 14 of this year.  It's a little hard to get together and
rehearse, I guess.

--
Henry Stinson, BSECE, Website Developer and Software Engineer (Visual Basic)
Vocalist, Jazz Harmonica, Jazz Whistling and "Mouth Trumpet".