[Dixielandjazz] Benny Carter at 95 on BBC Radio 3

john Petters jpettjazz@btinternet.com
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 00:06:10 +0100

Jim said
> Finally, wasn't the Spike Hughes "Negro Orchestra" great? Not just the
> marvellous solos by Hawk , Wayman Carver and 'Red' Allen, but Spike's
> arrangement. What a loss it was when Spike gave up jazz.
Those sessions are wonderful and wel worth obtaining. Interesting that
Carter did not see Hughes as a jazz musician..
Mike Pointon had great fun meeting Benny and making the programmes. As usual
there was a lot that had to be lefty out of the final articles.
Mike is probably the most accomplished radio jazz documentary writer and
presenter around these days. His Bunk & Bill for Radio 2 a few years back
was superb as was Melly on Jelly.
John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
WWW.Traditional-jazz.com