[Dixielandjazz] Benny Carter at 95 on BBC Radio 3

Jim Denham james@jiming.demon.co.uk
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 19:11:55 +0100

In message <002301c24097$5b88b340$5521fea9@johnpetters>, John Petters
<jpettjazz@btinternet.com> writes
>My good friend Michael Pointon is presenting a series of programmes on BBC
>Radio 3 to Mark Benny Carter's 95rh birthday. Lots of interest for listeners
>on this list. Go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/jazz/jazzfile.shtml and
>listen on line.
>Keep swinging
>John Petters
>Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
>WWW.Traditional-jazz.com

It's great stuff! Benny Carter must be:
1/ The most underestimated musician in the history of jzz
2/ Now that Spiegle Wilcox and Doc Cheatham have gone, the last remaining
1920's musician still alive and active (correct me if I'm wrong).

Finally, wasn't the Spike Hughes "Negro Orchestra" great? Not just the
marvellous solos by Hawk , Wayman Carver and 'Red' Allen, but Spike's advanced
arrangement. What a loss it was when Spike gave up jazz.

Yours,
-
Jim Denham