[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland in Bismarck

Dan Augustine ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 08:46:56 -0500

Charlie, John, and the rest--
    No problem.  I told you dixieland was everywhere. Go do a Google-search on 'Bismarck+Dixieland' (leave out the quotation-marks, and use a 'c' in the city-name).  You'll get a bunch of hits, including the following, from http://www.smchs.org/director.html:

"William J. Schmidt is the Director of Instrumental Music at St. Mary's Central High School Bismarck, North Dakota.  A graduate of Dickinson State University in Dickinson, North Dakota, he has taught at St. Mary's for 25 years.  Mr. Schmidt directs the Wind Orchestra, Symphonic Band, "Marching Saints" and the award winning SMCHS Jazz Ensemble.

Mr. Schmidt has served as the Principal Trombonist with the Bismarck-Mandan Symphony Orchestra.  He presently conducts and performs with the Bill Schmidt Big Band and is the trombonist with Doc Lindelow's Dixieland Chamber Orchestra.

Schmidt is currently President of the North Dakota International Association of Jazz Educators and is the past president of the North Dakota National Band Association.  He is presently the Auditions Manager of the North Dakota All-State Band, Choir, Orchestra & Jazz Ensemble.  He is a member of the Music Educators National Conference, National Catholic Band Directors Association, International Association of Jazz Educators and the National Band Association."

    The place sounds like a hotbed of jazz to me . . .

    Dan

--
** Dan Augustine - ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu             **