[Dixielandjazz] Marsalis concert

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 01:31:37 EDT

--part1_137.124f71e4.2a820ab9_boundary

In a message dated 8/6/02 10:26:16 AM Central Daylight Time,
brian.harvey5@ntlworld.com writes:

> What makes the Petters - Beebe versions of old jazz
> any better than that of Wynton Marsalis?

   well, for starters, my groups swing more than Marsalis's group ( small
6-7- piece group).  And I am speaking past tense as I have been out of the
business for over a year an half.  Musicians I have usually worked with knew
and loved the classic repertoire that we played.  They were not Julliard or
Berklee grads going through older music in an academic fashion in a concert
hall setting.  They were out in the clubs and all the other odd gigs that
come along...where this music rather evoled, in my opinion.

Jim Beebe

--part1_137.124f71e4.2a820ab9_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 8/6/02 10:26:16 AM Central Daylight Time, brian.harvey5@ntlworld.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">What makes the Petters - Beebe versions of old jazz<BR>
any better than that of Wynton Marsalis?<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; well, for starters, my groups swing more than Marsalis's group ( small 6-7- piece group).&nbsp; And I am speaking past tense as I have been out of the business for over a year an half.&nbsp; Musicians I have usually worked with knew and loved the classic repertoire that we played.&nbsp; They were not Julliard or Berklee grads going through older music in an academic fashion in a concert hall setting.&nbsp; They were out in the clubs and all the other odd gigs that come along...where this music rather evoled, in my opinion.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
Jim Beebe<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_137.124f71e4.2a820ab9_boundary--