[Dixielandjazz] Beebe's kids, young folks, & dear Charlie

Nancy Giffin nancyink@ulink.net
Tue, 06 Aug 2002 17:17:47 -0500

Wow! A very pensive post from Mr. Hooks, as we've come to expect. Thanks!

I'm responding because I'm afraid my main point may have been lost or
misconstrued. I wasn't addressing Jim directly (other than to offer
sympathy). Regarding the two-way street: I absolutely respect the fact that
older generations have priceless info to pass along. (Indeed and
hallelujah!) The problem is finding an inlet for that stream of information
to BEGIN flowing between generations. Returning to my original metaphor,
just how do we open the door or even a window to someone on the other side
of a wall? My point was to offer a suggestion as to how we all might open
the door to being heard by those who would choose to shut us out if we took
no interest in their interests. Stephen Covey said, "Seek first to
understand, then to be understood. God gave us two ears but only one mouth."

Here's one priceless tidbit handed down to me from an elder:
"If you want to persuade someone, don't start by insulting them."

As a younger person on this list, I've seen a lot of insults thrown at my
generation with glee and disdain. I can understand, so I just ignore it, but
most of my peers wouldn't care to hear another word from those who insulted
their precious music -- the music they listened to in their youth and on the
night of their first dance, their first kiss.

I wish for all of you to be heard not just by me but by my peers as well.
I'm merely attempting, however poorly, to facilitate that by describing the
view from down here so that whenever you hand things down, we catch them
instead of duck! Hope I'm making myself clear and not offending my respected
elders. (If so, I do humbly apologize.)

Love and hugs,
Nancy