[Dixielandjazz] Marsalis concert

Louis Lince louislince@neworleansmusic.demon.co.uk
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 19:27:33 +0100

I really do think that we are now missing the point. Over the last weeks,
listmates have been voicing their views on how to increase coverage of OKOM
(for lack of a better name). Here we have a world class orchestra appearing
at the prestigious Royal Albert Hall, and being televised on BBC. The choice
of material covered the so-called "Swing" years... Goodman, Ellington, Basie
etc. In addition there were original compositions. Wasn't this what the
pioneers did? play "standards" and "new/original" pieces.

Anybodies view is subjective but I cannot stand by and hear good
musicianship rubbished. .....People in Glass Houses.......

Louis