[Dixielandjazz] Music Tastes-was-MARSALIS AT THE PROMS

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Tue, 06 Aug 2002 13:04:50 -0400

List mates:

I am really enjoying the repartee on this one. Brings me to repeat a
comment Perry (?) made months ago on issues: Something like "take any
position and 50% will agree while the other 50% disagree". So where is
the universal truth in musical taste?  Even amongst jazz musicians we
cannot agree on who is playing good music and who is not. Methinks it is
all in our own, very personal ears. OKOM is really MKOM. But it is fun,
isn't it?

And I am unanimous in that. :-)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS And why is it these "new" swing bands don't really swing?  Perhaps
because they are hung up on the technicalities of the music, e.g.. play
it as triplets, rather than the feeling of swing  which we old farts
still have. Some musicians know how to swing, others do not. Me, I hear
Basie's rhythm section as the seminal definition of swinging. Freddie
Green, et al., where are you?  Would that you could lead these heathens
to the truth. (Also, it helps to loosen up and throw beads) ;-)