[Dixielandjazz] Offended by Dixieland?

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 12:14:52 EDT

--part1_3b.2a8cd851.2a7ffe7c_boundary

barbonestreet@earthlink.net writes:

> Hear hear. Speaking of "Jazz Aficionados" aren't they just older people
> who when they were young, like the audiences Charlie and I target, were
> "just people looking for happy  music . . . or party attendees..." That
> was of course, before they became knowledgeable aficionados. :-)
>
> Heck, I only know about 100 "knowledgeable jazz aficionados" and they
> can't seem to agree on anything except the importance of their own
> diverse and often conflicting opinions. Not a big enough audience to
> target. And not much fun in a group by themselves.
>
> Plain speak: If you are looking for intellectual music Dixieland ain't
> it. What we would like to believe, as musically informed Dixieland
> aficionados, is/was art form dixieland between 1920 and 1940, is/was
> simply warmed over pop music done in a jazzy style. Real jazz, yes
> before 1920 and after 1940. It's peak, Eddie Condon groups, 1940 to
> 1975, and the groups at the Metropole in NYC.  (My opinion, maybe not
> yours)
>
> And those groups were fun. Biggest problem they had was that they were
> in clubs where you couldn't dance. (That damn 20% tax on dance joints)
> Those bands, black and white, were fun. The laughed, they hollered, they
> had a good time, and the audience did too.
>
> Now, we aficionados say, "keep the dancers in the back, we want to
> listen and not be distracted". Are we kidding? Listen to what?
>
> Cheers,
> Steve Barbone

   Excellent statement, Steve.  thanks for writing and posting it.
Especially the slot about the '100 knowledgeable jazz afficionados'.  You hit
that one right on the head.

   Jim Beebe

--part1_3b.2a8cd851.2a7ffe7c_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 8/5/02 9:23:25 AM Central Daylight Time, barbonestreet@earthlink.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Hear hear. Speaking of "Jazz Aficionados" aren't they just older people<BR>
who when they were young, like the audiences Charlie and I target, were<BR>
"just people looking for happy&nbsp; music . . . or party attendees..." That<BR>
was of course, before they became knowledgeable aficionados. :-)<BR>
<BR>
Heck, I only know about 100 "knowledgeable jazz aficionados" and they<BR>
can't seem to agree on anything except the importance of their own<BR>
diverse and often conflicting opinions. Not a big enough audience to<BR>
target. And not much fun in a group by themselves.<BR>
<BR>
Plain speak: If you are looking for intellectual music Dixieland ain't<BR>
it. What we would like to believe, as musically informed Dixieland<BR>
aficionados, is/was art form dixieland between 1920 and 1940, is/was<BR>
simply warmed over pop music done in a jazzy style. Real jazz, yes<BR>
before 1920 and after 1940. It's peak, Eddie Condon groups, 1940 to<BR>
1975, and the groups at the Metropole in NYC.&nbsp; (My opinion, maybe not<BR>
yours)<BR>
<BR>
And those groups were fun. Biggest problem they had was that they were<BR>
in clubs where you couldn't dance. (That damn 20% tax on dance joints)<BR>
Those bands, black and white, were fun. The laughed, they hollered, they<BR>
had a good time, and the audience did too.<BR>
<BR>
Now, we aficionados say, "keep the dancers in the back, we want to<BR>
listen and not be distracted". Are we kidding? Listen to what?<BR>
<BR>
Cheers,<BR>
Steve Barbone</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Excellent statement, Steve.&nbsp; thanks for writing and posting it.&nbsp; Especially the slot about the '100 knowledgeable jazz afficionados'.&nbsp; You hit that one right on the head.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_3b.2a8cd851.2a7ffe7c_boundary--