[Dixielandjazz] Re: reality/truth

PLadd36932@aol.com PLadd36932@aol.com
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 04:58:48 EDT

In a message dated 31/07/02 12:27:34 GMT Daylight Time, jazzboard@hotmail.com
writes:

<< In the speculation method we assume unobserved things exist and then we go
 about trying to prove their existence. That is just plan foolishness and is
 completely unrelated to scientific methodology. >>

Hi Bill,
 Unless you are refering to `Angels on a pin` type speculation as assuming
unobserved things exist then you are on dodgy ground. Most of the atomic
particles have been `assumed` or `deduced` entirely on the basis of  other
phenomena. Which is itself  probably based on similar assumptions.
Incidentally it seems to me that we are probably in the same position with
atomics as the Ptolemaic   astromers were with explaining the movements the
planets. Every time the theory did not fit the facts they changed the theory
and finished up with planetary orbits running in little epicycles to make the
observed motions match up.
Not until Kepler  said `Put the sun, not the Earth in the middle ` did
everything simplify and fall in to place. I think something similar may be on
the cards for atomic theory Suddenly there will be a basic shift and it will
be found that all the odd particles, mesons ,quarks,.muons etc will be
superflous.

But what the hell do I know?. I`m a drummer.

Cheers

Pat