[Dixielandjazz] Re: reality/truth cum genius/jazz

PLadd36932@aol.com PLadd36932@aol.com
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 04:58:38 EDT

Hi,
I may be a little late getting in on this, what with holidays etc., but it
seems to me the Charlie`s contention that `the idea of music is not physical`
is a perfectly straightforward and sustainable proposition and that my friend
Bill Gunter(sorry I didn`t make Edinburgh, Bill.) is wrong. Ideas of any sort
are not physical.
I am not sure that the other comments that `the idea of a rainbow is not
physical` follow.
The `idea` or the concept of music is abstract and exists by definition
solely in the mind. I do not see how the `idea` of a rainbow can exist at all
except, to stretch a point, as a concept in the mind of a blind person
derived from a description of  of the phenomena, and I would plead that is a
special case.
`Art` also I would suggest is merely a concept and cannot be physical.

The question of `genius`, born or acquired may soon become academic. I see
that the latest research shows that persons with a certain pattern of DNA are
more likely to show  criminal tendencies than those without.

Whatever you are it is down to your genes. Hows that for an argument for
letting all criminals off. `They just couldn`t help it, Yr Honour, It was
their genes`.

Stop the world.I wanna get off!

Pat