[Dixielandjazz] Re: Levinson's Eleven Sons of Rosy

Dan Augustine ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 13:51:11 -0500

Folks--
    Reasons to send off for this CD abound, as anyone who has heard the playing of any of these guys (especially Brother Levinson) can attest.  But i want to call your attention to the tuba-player, Westy Westenhofer, who plays a Conn 20K sousaphone with the Reynolds Brothers Rhythm Rascals (which band Dan Levinson also graces).  Westenhofer can really play solos, nimbly and with great ideas, range, and technique.  In my mind he's on the same level as Dave Gannett.  So all you tuba-pickers out there, i recommend this recording, even without hearing it. (Aside to Dan: my check's in the mail.)

    Dan

--
** Dan Augustine - ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu             **