[Dixielandjazz] ENERGY

Stan Brager sbrager@socal.rr.com" <sbrager@socal.rr.com
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 08:31:13 -0700

Margaret;

Energy is a relative thing. The energy test should be made with the eyes
closed and the ears listening.

I remember Ray Bauduc with the Jack Teagarden sextet. He was chewing gum
and looked lazily around at the audience in the small club while he
hammered out a solo which lifted me 10 feet off the ground.

I remember watching and listening to the Duke Ellington orchestra. Johnny
Hodges was seated and looked relaxed with his eyes closed as he played a
dynamic solo.

Jazz and energy is defined by Duke's tune: "It Don't Mean A Thing If It
Ain't Got That Swing".

'nuf said;

Stan
Stan Brager