[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland Has meaning

Keith Garner ckg at talktalk.net
Sat Mar 18 14:56:10 EDT 2023

Hi Folks

I very much agree with Gordon's comment, and not only younger people.
Particularly over the last twenty-five years probably only about half my
playing has been in recognised jazz venues and the rest spread over a
real mix of occasions.

Almost invariably I've found that people are surprised to find how much
they enjoy Dixieland/Traditional Jazz [I'm in UK], even though they
would never have thought to book a jazz band themselves. Weddings are a
good example. Quite a number of young couples heard us playing by
accident and liked the music so much that they booked us for their
wedding - in one case we did weddings for both brothers and also the
father's retirement party - because they heard the music for themselves.

Also - re Jim K's comment about repertoire - for weddings I always tried
to play a number including the bride's name. So for Amy, we played Amy,
wonderful Amy and Once in Love with Amy. For Joanna we played When
Joanna Loved Me - which she had never heard, but liked a lot. The only
problem is that our vocalist could only sing the first sixteen bars,
because she leaves him in the middle eight - not a good choice for a
wedding.

Cheers
Keith Garner
Youtube Channel: Keramos Jazz Echoes