[Dixielandjazz] djml not dead, just resting!

Keith Garner ckg at talktalk.net
Sat Dec 3 13:25:08 EST 2022

Hi All

It was good to read Jim K's account of things in Spain, and his comment
about 'keeping it going' made me think that I ought to do my bit and
chip in with an email.

I wonder if any list members have come across this site -

https://www.jazznorthwest.co.uk/

It's put together as a labour of love by Fred, who started it 27 years
ago when he retired, on the home page he says - "Welcome to my world of
Traditional Jazz. The pages which follow are a tribute to the musicians
who have dedicated themselves to playing the music of New Orleans and
Dixieland in the North West of the British Isles". He describes it as "A
no frills fast loading site". I can't begin to describe its contents but
suggest that it's worth a visit by anyone interested in OKOM. It has
pages for most of the bands playing in the area, many with musical
examples. Check it out and see what one man - not a musician - has done
for our music.

The arrival of Covid, virtually put an end to my playing days. I was
getting to the age where a round trip of three or four hundred miles for
an evening gig was becoming a chore - and my daughter told me that I
should act 'age-appropriately!!. I did remind her that a few years ago I
depped with a band whose drummer was in his late 90s. He actually
survived to play some gigs when he was 100.

I've long had an interest in sound recording and when the lockdown came
I started to sort out a few to put up on YouTube. It's always been a bit
hit and miss to record while actually playing, but I've always been more
interested in capturing the atmosphere than producing hi-fi. There's
quite a range, the earliest date back to the mid 1960s and the most
recent to the 2000s. If anyone would like to check some of them out, my
channel is Keramos Jazz Echoes and a few of the tracks are -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNrWZjRY6-Y          1970s with Bud
Freeman    Riverboat Shuffle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5roYCbBh-n8           1960s No=one Else
But You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbGyJTZ8RVc          1970s Coal Black Shine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33TAvSJcg9Q            1970s Undecided
featuring guest Gene (Mighty Flea) Connors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiaB-_Jjb0A             1970s Dunkirk
Jazz Festival - Kansas City Man Blues

Apologies in advance to Jim K for the low-fi

Regards
Keith Garner