[Dixielandjazz] Trad Jazz Piano

Kevin Yeates kyeates at yahoo.com
Fri May 28 20:16:03 EDT 2021

Following up to my previous post:

LOOKING FOR TRAD JAZZ PIANO PLAYERS

I put out the Creole Jazz Band fakebookeach year. It is a free resource for anyone who wants to use it. As a result ofthe book, I have been contacted by people asking about how to play the pianoaccompaniment for the tunes. The requests have come often enough that I want toput out a free resource for beginning trad jazz piano players to accompany thefake book.

I am presently envisioning the finalproduct to contain

1)    many 4 – 8 bar patterns thatpianists often use to comp. I am sure there are certain patterns used for slowtunes that don’t work for fast tunes etc.

2)    accompaniment for a few tunesso a beginner can see/hear how they put the ideas into play. I have identified 7tunes and have the YouTube links for them that feature many different temposand feels.

Any participating pianist would be asked tochoose what they feel they can contribute. If you provide an audio recording oftwo bars of a comping style and nothing more, that is great – I will take it. No,you don’t have to do every tune and provide 29 accompaniment styles. You do whatyou have the time and enthusiasm for.

By providing samples of comping that worksfor different tempos and feels, including Latin, I think the novice pianistwill have some fundamentals to employ immediately, but still have to listen tothe records to learn some of the finer points and develop their own sound.

My goal is for participating pianists tolisten to the trad jazz tune on headphones, and play along on a keyboard thatis plugged into a computer running music notation software, to record what isplayed and put it in as notes on the page. That music notation file would beforwarded to me. I can open Sibelius, Music XML, MuseScore, and Midi.

If you don’t have the set up for a keyboardand a notation program, simply recording a few bars of different comping ideaswill be great. Hopefully I will be able to transcribe them. If you wish to compthe full tunes and can only record them, that is fine too. The sound file willbe great for beginners. I will not be taking the time to transcribe theaccompaniment of a full tune.

If you are interested in helping out orlearning more about this, please contact me. Yes, you will get full credit for your work. No, I will not be profitingfrom this. It will simply be freely distributed along with the Creole Jazz Bandfakebook. No, there is no money in this for you.

Kevin Yeates

Vancouver, Canada