[Dixielandjazz] Trad Jazz Paino

Kevin Yeates kyeates at yahoo.com
Thu May 27 18:16:38 EDT 2021

Looking for advice:

I put out the Creole Jazz Band fakebook eachyear. It is a free resource for anyone who wants to use it. As a result of thebook, I have been contacted by people asking about how to play the piano accompanimentfor the tunes. The requests have come often enough that I want to put out a freeresource for beginning trad jazz piano players to accompany the fake book.

 Ihave two thoughts in mind at this time as to how to approach this:

1)    Ask trad jazz piano players torecord short versions of the accompaniment they would play for slow tunes,upbeat, Latin etc.  I am thinking of somethinglike 2 – 4 bar examples of approaches one would take. This would be transcribedinto notation.

2)    Ask trad jazz players to play akeyboard into a music notation program as they accompany some predesignatedtunes so the budding pianist can hear and read what the pro is doing as theylisten to the tune.

I could always do a combination of the twoideas as well.

What does everyone think would be the bestproduct for a budding trad jazz piano player?

Kevin Yeates

Vancouver, Canada