[Dixielandjazz] Halcyon Records - Bob Crosby

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jan 25 00:51:29 EST 2021

>  Andrew Homzy <andrew.homzy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am interested in getting the complete series of Bob Crosby on Halcyon -
> - Either CDs or MP3s. -
> Any suggestions are greatly appreciated -

Dear Andrew,
I collected the 18 Halcyon Bob Crosby CDs as they were released between 1991 and 2001. A total of 18 CDs comprising all the issued Decca sessions from June 1935 to July 1942. They also include the great pre-Crosby Clark Randal sides from March 1934 as a bonus on the final 2-CD set.
Transfers are generally excellent.
As you will know the Crosby band, particularly in its early days, was not confined to 'dixieland' and there is a lot of commercial 'pop' stuff and vocals in the compilation.
However, unless you have access to a collection, you may have trouble locating all the Halcyon CDs.
One of my disappointments is that Mosaic never complemented this set with the alternative and unissued takes, and the 1950s rare Coral sessions.
Cheers,
Bill.