[Dixielandjazz] Remembering Bucky Pizzarelli-- Ken Peplowski

nvickers1 at cox.net nvickers1 at cox.net
Thu Feb 4 10:52:36 EST 2021

To:  some jazz friends

From: Norman Vickers, Jazz Pensacola

Here's link to JazzTimes article by Ken Peplowski praising Bucky Pizzarelli
was a jazz guitarist and a genuine human being.

<https://jazztimes.com/features/tributes-and-obituaries/ken-peplowski-rememb
ers-bucky-pizzarelli/>
https://jazztimes.com/features/tributes-and-obituaries/ken-peplowski-remembe
rs-bucky-pizzarelli/

I echo Ken's sentiments.  Bucky and I crossed paths on many occasions at
jazz parties and festivals.  He was always in top form as a musician and
always friendly and helpful as a gentleman. Once at breakfast at an Arbors
Jazz Party, I was at table with Bucky and record producer Gus Statiras, both
native New Yorkers.  They were describing various New York characters they
had come in contact with. It was a delight to hear them converse and tell
New York stories.

At Dick Gibson parties,  Bucky and violinist Johnny Frigo would always get
to play a set.  I had opportunity to see them get together in the
corridor-each with his respective instrument-and for five minutes discuss
tune names and selected key signature.  Then they'd proceed to play a
one-hour set, flawlessly, of course.  I was lucky enough to get a photograph
of their "rehearsal." I passed the photo to our local artist Nina Fritz and
she painted a watercolor.  It graces our Jazz Room at downtown West Florida
Public Library.  We were lucky enough to get Frigo and Bucky for our
Pensacola JazzFest, but at separate times, as they both had busy schedules.

Thanks to Ken Peplowski for this column.  Pensacolians had opportunity to
see him when he performed with Concord All-Stars at our Pensacola JazzFest
in 1997 and subsequently when he came to Pensacola Naval Aviation Museum
leading the Glenn Miller band. Of course, he has many recordings  on CD and
YouTube.

F. Norman Vickers

5429 Dynasty Dr.

Pensacola, FL 32504