[Dixielandjazz] Molly at 6 years old

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Fri Feb 5 17:07:44 EST 2021

Several members of DJML have asked who were the musicians on the recording of Hot Time In The Old Town Tonight which I recently posted on DJML with 6 year old Molly Ringwald as A Blast From The Past.

The name of the album is I Wanna Be Loved By You, Molly Sings.

Dottie and Ed Lawless did the art design. George Rock from the Spike Jones Band wrote the liner notes.

There were 2 different styles of music on the album. Molly was listening and learning from singers such as Bessie Smith, Pat Yankee, Clair Austin, Judith Durham, Natalie Lamb for the Dixieland style.

Half of the album was Molly’s other influence, Helen Kane.

The cut which I posted had Al Smith tpt, Jim Maihack tbn, Skeets Herfurt cl, Bob Ringwald piano, Jack (someone) banjo, Stan Black tuba and Joe Bellerdino dr.

Patrick Skiffington has the album so he can tell you who the banjo player was.

Jim Maihack wrote the arrangements for the Dixieland tunes. Skeets Herfurt wrote the arrangements for the Helen Kane type tunes. I will try to post one of the Helen Kane type tunes.

Skeets was the great player from the big band era, Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey and the Lawrence Welk Orchestra.

On the Helen Kane tunes we used Al Smith tpt, Jim Maihack tbn, Skeets Herfurt reeds, Bob Ringwald piano, Jack guitar and some studio musicians from Lake Tahoe.

It was recorded at Skeets’ studio in Lake Tahoe. The mix isn’t the best as it was done only on 4 track.

I will try to post one of the Helen Kane type songs.

-Bob

Bob Ringwald
Amateur (ham) Radio Station K6YBV
rsr at ringwald.com
www.ringwald.com

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 3 AM. Can you believe that?
Luckily, I was still up playing my drums.

rsr at ringwald.com
www.ringwald.com