[Dixielandjazz] Mark Boym

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Apr 5 21:32:08 EDT 2021

Very sad news. I had a passing thought just yesterday that I should write to Marek, as it had been so long since I had heard from him.  And, that explains why DJML has been so quiet lately. Of late, Marek has been the instigator of many threads.

He and his lovely wife, Nitza, visited my wife and I a couple of yrs ago. We had several meals together, and they also joined me at a gig.

Being very picky as to his likes & dislikes of Jazz, I was very interested in his opinion of my band....well-knowing that our style wouldn't  jive in particular with him. He never said a word about our music on the drive to his hotel after the gig, nor when we went to dinner several nights later. I assumed he was following the rule of not speaking unless you can say something good!

Several weeks later, he mentioned on DJML that our version of Hindustan was the best he had ever heard!  It was like being blessed by a Holy man, as no one can say Marek didn't know his Jazz, and was quite able to say if he didn't like it. I took his comment as a great compliment!

It was the same with his opinions on food and wine. We had many a discussion on wines, and he knew what he liked and didn't like.

I was able to set up a tour for Marek & Nitza through Armenia, also, after he expressed an interest in the country of my grandparents. They travelled a great deal.

We have all been truly blessed to know Marek, in person for those that actually met him, and for others on our mailing list.

Jim & Orla Kashishian

⁣Get TypeApp for Android ​