[Dixielandjazz] Ragtime question

Dick Baker dick at dickbaker.org
Tue Sep 8 21:11:09 EDT 2020

Allow me to amplify Bill's note by modestly quoting myself from the
"notes to the reader" section of "Index of 3,836 Tune Titles and
Composers," 7th edition, which I compiled for the late Bob Erdos's
Stomp Off record label.  You can see the full version of that index,
with annotated discussions of each title, at
http://stompoff.dickbaker.org/Stomp%20Off%20Index.pdf.

"Another problem [in whether to name lyricists in the Stomp Off
index] that became evident as I looked through Audrey Van Dyke's
extensive collection of early rags is that some early pieces were
published in two forms, as songs and as instrumentals, sometimes with
slightly different titles.  They'll often have the same year of
publication, but according to Tex Wyndham, one would have preceded
the other by some period, although not always in the same order.  But
the question, I said, is should we be citing the lyricist's name if
our recording has no lyrics.

"That depends, said Tex, on whether you're playing the instrumental
or song version.  Well, instrumental, obviously, I responded:  Nobody sings.

"Wrong answer, it turns out.  The instrumental version would have a
ragtime format with multiple strains (or at least one extra strain);
the song version would be the typical verse-chorus form of most
songs.  You have to listen to the version played and identify it as
the instrumental or song version as originally published.  In many
cases, contemporary bands (and even piano soloists, in some cases),
actually play the song version.  He cited the example of "Honky Tonky
Town," which was published in instrumental and song versions with
slightly different titles.  Today's bands all play the song version;
to the best of his knowledge, only the St. Louis Ragtimers have ever
recorded the instrumental version.

"This gives us a problem (which I pointed out to Tex); not reading
music, I don't feel qualified to listen to these recordings and
identify them as the song or instrumental versions.  Tex suggested we
do this:  List each such tune by the title & composer we think is
best known and add a note (like our current alternative title notes
in brackets), saying something like "Also published in a song version
with lyrics by Joe Blow."  If the song version title is different,
we'd have to note that too.  Of course, the reader still doesn't know
by looking at our list which version is on the Stomp Off recording,
but at least he knows there are two possibilities.

"That actually won't fatten our list by much.  On my first pass
through this list I found only eight tunes that I've identified this
way (Grizzly Bear, Hiawatha, Oh That Beautiful Rag, Railroad Blues,
Red Wing, Silver Bell, Silver Heels, Temptation Rag, Wild Cherries);
of course, there are dozens of others published simultaneously in two
versions that we don't know about, but that can't be helped."

--
      Dick Baker
  dick at dickbaker.org