[Dixielandjazz] Mystery Tune Solved

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Sep 3 18:35:42 EDT 2020

> On 4 Sep 2020, at 2:42 AM, Robert Ringwald <rsr at ringwald.com> wrote:
> According to Ted des Plantes and Al Brogden:
> The mystery tune is "Mississippi Blues" by Lucille Hegemin and Spencer Williams. The band is The Swedish Jazz Kings with Bent Persson from a late 90s Stomp Off LP. It was originally recorded in the 1920's by Clarence Williams.
> Thanks to both Ted and Al for solving this mystery.
> I’d love to hear the original 1920 recording if anyone has it and can make a MP3 or 4.

Good morning Bob,
That is a relief.
I was about to start checking my Stomp Off LPs/CDs recorded by European jazz groups.
I should have thought of the Swedish Jazz Kings as they have visited Australian on numerous occasions and we provided accommodation for several musicians each time.
Wonderful people and musicians. And my OKOM.
I have their LP (SOS 1122 - A Tribute to Clarence Williams) and the Lucille Hegamin 1921 original on a CD.

Here is the Clarence Williams' Washboard Band recording for Okeh made on 14 February 1929:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP99dK2tXQM

And the Lucille Hegamin original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbj9w5hcx-M

It was also recorded in the 20s by Hazel Meyers, Virginia Liston and Laura Smith.

Kind regards,
Bill.