[Dixielandjazz] screw the changes

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Wed Oct 7 15:04:33 EDT 2020

I’m bored by most free jazz on record, but I’ve come to enjoy listening to it live, when there's occasion to do so here in Montgomery. Watching a risky and adventurous act of invention as it unfolds, seeing the players find some form in near-randomness is a worthwhile way of being present. Sometimes what shows up doesn't capture anything or engage me, but even that is a perception worth having. Life is like often like that, and it's useful to be able to rest with the passing parade of ambiguous occurrences. A good friend here, Jeff McLeod, is devoted to free improvisation (not jazz per se). A few years back he conducted monthly group improv sessions for musicians at a local bookstore. I didn't bring my drumset because I knew that certain automatic reflexes and responses are likely when I play. I brought a large suitcase, mallets, and brushes to see what sounds might be elicited from them, and the also from the chair I sat in. There’s sonic potential in everything. There was always a prompt, however vague, to begin with, and we played and co-listened. I felt that everything was refreshingly new, sometimes evolving with a conversational sense, other times just rackety until an overlap or theme showed up. There were no recorded playbacks and I wouldn’t want to hear them anyway, because the good stuff was a thing of the moment. Three of us did play for a church service at the Unitarian Fellowship here, taking as cues for brief exploration the names of the sections in the service. It was seen as weird, but expressive.

Charles