[Dixielandjazz] screw the changes

Al Levy alevy at alevy.com
Tue Oct 6 14:12:55 EDT 2020

Hey Bob,
Best "How Many" joke to date.
Thank you for the chuckle.

On one occasion I went to Village Vanguard to hear Buddy De Franco.
I loved many of his recordings.
He was playing in trio with a guitar and Bass.
The style was "free jazz."  I left after a few minutes.
It might have been fun for the performers.

I have to confess: I wrote a suite for brass (trumpets, french horns,
trombones and tubas)
The conductor, a former New York Philharmonic trombonist, had sessions
every Tuesday night.
In the 3rd movement of my suite I had a "free form" section.
No conductor. No score. No key. No time signature.
Little by little each player joined in, playing what ever they wanted to
play.
The effect was like a coda without rhyme or reason.
The conductor could raise his baton at any time and have complete
silence. (an extended fermata) then
Down beat and cues such as "wah wah" trpt., "slide down" for trmb."
and "dead stop on down beat" for every body.
It worked, The conductor liked it, I liked it, the ensemble players
asked to keep the suite in their repertoire.
I was honored.

Many years later I sat in with some jazz players I has never met.
A friend of theirs and mine made the recommendation.
The host told me this was a free form session. My thought "Okay, I got
ears."
I must admit it was fun for a while. After an hour I made an excuse to
leave.
As soon as I was safe and sound in my car I put on a Mozart symphony.
It was like taking a shower.

Dixieland content: Have you ever seen a parade on Rampart Street?