[Dixielandjazz] Spanish saxophonist passed away today

jim at kashprod.com jim at kashprod.com
Sun Nov 1 11:49:44 EST 2020

A good friend, and Spain's number 1 Jazz musician, saxophonist Pedro
Iturralde, passed away today at 91.  I've posted on DJML other times, with
links to videos from my times working since 1967 with Pedro. Here is a
recording he did in the early days with Hampton Hawes on piano.  The other
musicians were regulars here in the 1960's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg_PFHqXH5I

Pedro was also known for his work with the Spanish National Orchestra, and
compositions which have been performed worldwide.  Search on Youtube for his
Pedro Iturralde - Suite Hellenique.  At one point, Pedro went to Boston &
studied/worked at the Berkelee School of Music.  While there he was offered
a spot with the

I worked often with Pedro live in jazz clubs here, on tv, and in many, many
recordings.  Always a thrill to play with, and such a nice guy.  He joined
our band for a nite on clarinet several years ago.  I will try to attach a
photo here from that night.  Also, a photo of myself, Pedro to the left, his
brother to the right, and the same drummer from the Hawes recording, Peer
Wyboris from early 1970.  They're all gone now.  I'm the only one still
kicking!

Jim