[Dixielandjazz] Fw: RV: Picture of Earthquake McGoons

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Mon May 25 10:19:27 EDT 2020

jim at kashprod.com wrote:

Bob Ringwald posted a photo of Earthquake McGoons in San Francisco.  Thanks
for that, Bob!  I heard the band there once.  By any chance was the same
club located in a different spot In San Francisco ever?  I don't recall the
club at all from that photo, but then it was a long time ago (early 1960's).

Jim, I believe there were 3 McGoons over the years. Other Turk fans can
probably fill us in on that.

I played intermissions at the McGOONS at Clay and Montgomery, 1970 - 1973. I
believe it had been a German music hall at one time. I would alternate 20 /
40 minutes with the band. There was a balcony overlooking the band stand.
I'd go up there and listen to the band. I thought I was in Paradise, getting
paid to listen to Turk. Often on the last tune of my sets, the band would
join in with me. Turk would play washboard.

While Smokey Stover was playing drums with the band, I would sit in on banjo
on the last set of the night.

One time we did a live radio show from McGoons. The band played, Maihack and
I did a piano/banjo segment and they had a magician perform. I couldn’t
figure that one out, a magician on the radio???

Pete said that I was the best intermission act that they had since Clancy
passed. I felt good about that.

Earlier I saw Clancy playing intermissions there before he got sick. He was
singing all these great songs with not too many people paying attention.
Then he did a medley of 5 Foot 2, Aint She Sweet and Dark
town Strutter's Ball and brought the house down... Just shows to go ya.

When the tourist bus people would arrive, I'd do I Left My Heart In SF. It
would bring down the house. Turk hated that song but I did it anyway.

Pat Yankee was singing with the band. She would always request that I do
Does Your Chewing Gum Loose its Flavor On The Bed Post Over Night. To this
day she wants to hear me do that song.

-Bob

Bob Ringwald
Amateur (ham) Radio Station K6YBV
rsr at ringwald.com
www.ringwald.com

This Coronavirus has turned us all into dogs. We wander around the house
looking for food.
We get told "No" if we get too close to strangers and we get really excited
about going for walks and car rides.