[Dixielandjazz] RV: Picture of Earthquake McGoons

jim at kashprod.com jim at kashprod.com
Mon May 25 06:59:22 EDT 2020

Bob Ringwald posted a photo of Earthquake McGoons in San Francisco.  Thanks
for that, Bob!  I heard the band there once.  By any chance was the same
club located in a different spot In San Francisco ever?  I don't recall the
club at all from that photo, but then it was a long time ago (early 1960's).

I would love to have a photo from inside or outside of the Beverly Caverns
in Los Angeles, where I heard Teddy Buckner's band several times a week
during the late 1950's!  I don't have a single shot.  I recall that the
outside was a fairly "ratty" looking place.  I can still picture the stage,
seating & bar.  Teddy would stroll through the audience playing "Closer Walk
With Thee" slowly & unaccompanied, ending up on a stool at the bar...drink
in hand...while the band picked up the tempo!   :>

I also got to hear the Firehouse Five Plus Two and Kid Ory's band there.

During that period I would go often on Sunday noontime to the Los Angeles
Hot Jazz Society meetings where musicians would put their names/instrument
in a hat, and a band would be put together for each half hour session.
Played with Joe Darensbourg once (he had a tie on with egg yoke smeared on
it!), and Al Pavageau (? Spelling).  I was playing then 3 or 4 nites a week
at a coffee house in Seal Beach (The Rouge et Noir) with my first band, the
South Frisco Jazz Band.  The SFJB was started up when Vince Saunders came to
my high school in Huntington Beach (California) in search of musicians.  I
formed a part of the original band which continued to play in the area, and
in festivals, for 50 yrs!  Good times.

Jim