[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 209, Issue 11

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Fri May 8 15:13:08 EDT 2020

Why on earth would I feel disappointed at Bill Haesler NOT knowing something. I protest!!! Never have I wished to do anything half-warranting the phrase "catch you out"!    I wasn't being ironical, I wanted only to suggest the possibility, and am delighted to congratulate Bill on his by almost anybody else's standard incredible thoroughness.
"Well done that man!" as one of the bosses where I used to work annoyed people by saying. I did find the people offended more attractive in some ways than I would Bill, but they were attractive young ladies.

A proper commemoration was in order, I thought.  So far as I am aware the recording was on an audio medium, not film. Like a number of fans of I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue during my first enthusiasm for Humphrey Lyttelton's work I was unaware he was a musician, but in those days he was contributing dialogue to the FLOOK cartoon strip drawn by his friend and bandsman Wally Fawkes, and I was learning to read.
Long. long ago!

Robert R. Calder

Today's Topics:

  1.  Humphrey Lyttelton anniversary (Bill Haesler)

> On 8 May 2020, at 10:50 AM, ROBERT R. CALDER <serapion at btinternet.com> wrote:
> This may well be news even to Bill Haesler, but VE-Day marks the 75th anniversary of the first recording and broadcast of the playing of Humphrey Lyttelton, with a vast chorus hardly matched anywhere else in jazz discographies.
Good morning Robert,
Sorry to disappoint you, but I do know about the VE Day 'recording'.
Details are in the book 'Humphrey Lyttelton. Last Chorus. An Autobiographical Medley'. 2008 JR Books Limited.
That I found to be informative, but boring.
Kind regards,
Bill.