[Dixielandjazz] grandparents in the swing era blues?

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Thu May 7 05:15:53 EDT 2020

Hello Andrew,
We are not the only people who disagree, and shall remain so.
Harry James was indeed a master trumpeter, and you are probably right - "
Were he alive today, he might have put out a big band hip-hop recording -
he was commercial enough.
As to basic entertainment - I beg to disagree.  I don't like the "showy"
parts of live music, only honest playing.  But I am old enough to realize
the necessities of business.  Working musicians cannot depend on jazz fans
alone.
Your patronizing tone makes me wonder whether you are qualified to offer
"any cogent assessment of jazz artists."  To you, if one's opinion differs
from yours, one has no idea what he (or she) is talking about.   I have had
the MISFORTUNE (yes, indeed!) to hear them all, except the really young
ones - Miles, Brubeck, Ornette, Wayne Shorter, Coltrane- you name them.
Some - before I had even heard the name of Wild Bill Davison.  It took me
quite a few years to separate the grain from the chaff, and whatever you
say I am not going back to chaff again!
Had it not been for the patronizing tone, I wouldn't have replied to your
post - I've been through this so many times before!  Because there is room
for all kinds in this wide world.
Stay healthy.
Cheers,
Marek