[Dixielandjazz] grandparents in the swing era blues?

Kevin Yeates kyeates at yahoo.com
Mon May 4 17:34:33 EDT 2020

Robert Calder,

I am guessing from the balance of your email that you are complainingabout people presenting or identifying something as trad jazz, when it is not. AssumingI am correct, how do you define trad jazz? What are the elements of aperformance that makes it “tourist schmaltz”? Why do you think some musicianswere/are playing the “tourist schmaltz”?

It appears that you are criticizing Harry James forcomfortably swimming in a similar schmaltz. Assuming I am correct, why do youthink Harry James et al went in this direction?

Kevin Yeates

Vancouver, Canada