[Dixielandjazz] Where/how is Norman Vickers?

nvickers1 at cox.net nvickers1 at cox.net
Sat May 2 18:05:55 EDT 2020

Wow!  DJML listmates.  How nice to be missed.  I'm generally a lurker anyway
unless I have something which I think/hope will be of general interest.
But, when I'm solicited by only my first name-that's a milestone.

Think:  Ella, Frank and Bing!  Now, "Norman" is added to the prestigious
list-if only within the larger confines of DJML.  Appreciate the compliment!

What can I tell this list which might be of interest?  We cancelled 37th
annual Pensacola JazzFest scheduled for first weekend in April related to
COVID-19.  Nothing startling there-as French Quarter Festival and New
Orleans JazzFest are also cancelled this year.  Remains to be seen what
we'll do when things come closer to normal.

But, here's one which  should be of interest to this group.  The May issue
of The Syncopated Times came-electronic version-to my screen  yesterday.
There's a delightful story about Pensacola's Goodson Sisters.

They were daughters of a railroad worker, all were musically talented.  Many
of the daughters married musicians from New Orleans and became part of the
New Orleans music scene.  Billie Goodson Pierce was perhaps most well known.
The youngest Goodson sister, Ida, stayed in Pensacola and played  piano and
organ in silent movie theaters and honky tonks during the week and in church
on Sunday.  She was the one I knew from seeing her around town and, later in
her life, played at my home once for a medical staff party.  The story by
Dave Doyle, a writer based in Yorkshire, England even tells about the
program which the Jazz Society of Pensacola held about the history of the
Goodson sisters.  Some members of the Tulane Jazz Archives came over and
presented that program. I recommend TST for your consideration.  I
occasionally get an item therein.

Oh, maybe one more thing which I hope will be of interest.  Our Jazz Society
of Pensacola, Inc. ( d.b.a Jazz Pensacola) has partnered with our downtown
public library-West Florida Public Library-and has established a jazz room.
This started in the 80s when LPs were transitioning to CDs.  Now the room
has approx. $20,000 worth of jazz books, CDs and DVDs which are available
for check out for all library patrons.  Our Jazz Society makes the
selections and a Friends of the Library group matches our donation.  We are
excited and proud of that accomplishment.  Our library director has
researched and found only one other public library with a similar jazz room.
There are libraries which have a music collection but only one other, in the
state of Washington, which has a similar room dedicated only to jazz.

In interested, check out the Jazz Pensacola website below.  I have a blog on
which I review jazz books and CDs. Occasionally TST will pick up something
I've done and print it.;

So that's my report.  Hope each of you stays well.  Thanks to Bob Ringwald
for the inquiry and to Jim Kashishian of Madrid and Marek Boym of Israel for
assuring Bob that I'm alive and well.

Norman Vickers

5429 Dynasty Dr.

Pensacola, FL 32504