[Dixielandjazz] Young musicians

philwilking philwilking at cox.net
Fri May 1 02:39:19 EDT 2020

Too true.

I have heard this and variations upon it too many times to count through the
years.

"We need to get a younger audience." "We need to get some younger players;
all the old guys are dying off." Etcetera.

Onto my soap box:

The fact is: if we want to get some young blood, we are going to have to go
seek it out and make a significant effort to interest it. It is NOT going to
come looking for us. Learning and playing music of any kind is WORK, work
which the majority of the population can not, and a significant portion of
the rest will not, do. For that remainder which might take up OKOM, there
are too many other distractions, all available to any couch potato at the
push of a button, to expect them even know it exists, much less go looking
for it.

That means we, the current players who claim to want new blood, must go to
that potential new blood, it is not going to come to us. If one of your band
members lives in a house with a decent porch, rehearse on it so the
neighbors can hear it. Organize a block party and play for it just for the
fun of it. Donate an afternoon to a church function; especially an outdoor
function where the neighbors will hear it. Make sure there is room to dance
in front of the band stand. Play for the dancers - not just ultrafast
numbers for yourself. Don't just do foxtrots and swings; believe it or not,
if you play a waltz, the youngsters will try it. If you play a rumba or
cha-cha, they will try it. If you let it be known that lessons in how to
play this music are available, you will get a recruit every now and then.

This is not pie in the sky. Back in the middle 1980's, the Louisiana
Repertory Jazz Ensemble would play in a termite-ridden dump of a saloon on
Wednesday nights in New Orleans' "Irish Channel." They filled the place with
college kids who danced. On a Wednesday night in a tough neighborhood! That
was 35 years ago.

Currently, a band called "Tuba Skinny" attracts a large following. They are
young adults and they play very well. If they don't have a gig in a bar,
they play on the street for tips, which they get. When they do have an
indoor job. They over-fill the place. They are careful to play a variety of
rhythms and play dancing tempi, and everyone - band and audience - has fun.

And that is the secret: get the audience participating - dancing - instead
of just sitting listening and getting drunk. That's how jazz started; it was
dance music. It still is. Once you get them moving, they will have more fun
and so will you. And look out for the five or six year old child who
literally MUST move to your music. The joy on that face is all the pay you
need.

Off soap box.

Phil Wilking - K5MZF
www.nolabanjo.com