[Dixielandjazz] Hazy Osterwald

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Mar 29 22:57:26 EDT 2020

> Marek Boym <marekboym at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yesterday I listened to an LP by the Hazy Osterwald Sextet, "Party bei Hazy,"  Karrussell 635002.  The numbers are: Muskrat Ramble, Hazy, Little Rock Getaway (spelt on the label Get Away", Carina, At the Jazzband Ball, Baby won't You Please Come Home, Jazz Me Blues, Eva, At the Darktown STrutters Ball, Gin for Ginny and Royal Garden Blues.  No other information is given.  I have found the (uncredited) personnel on the web, as well as the original issue year, but neither the place nor the exact recording date.  Moreover, the web lists Curt Prina on "piano, accordion, vibes and trombone."   I do not recall any accordion on the LP in question.
> Could any of you provide the missing data?

Dear Marek,
That LP has been reissued in Europe on several labels including  Karrussell 635002.
As your probably discovered.
The W. Bruyninckx Discography includes what appears to be the original German Polydor LP LPHM 46329 release, for which Discogs gives the following personnel details:

	• Bass, Vocals – Sonny Lang
	• Drums – John Ward (2)
	• Guitar, Clarinet, Alto Saxophone – Werner Dies
	• Leader, Trumpet – Hazy Osterwald
	• Piano, Accordion, Vibraphone, Trombone – Joe C. Prina*
	• Tenor Saxophone – Dennis Armitage
* Bruyninckx and other discographies list him as Curt Prima.

Bruyninckx notes "prob same pers" from several 1957-58 Heliodor sessions, that include the above musicians.
However, he does provide the following recording information:

• Hamburg, September 21-23, 1958.
No mention of Curt Prima playing accordion on this session or the immediate preceding ones. He does so on Osterwald recordings made in 1955.
I hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Bill.